Renaming F16 codename to "Ritchie"

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 19:41:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> editing that page is far easier than changing the default URL.

And it provides us a reusable mechanism for the next time we feel a
need to memorialize.  In fact couldn't we change the contents of the
page for F15 right now and be even _more_ timely? And this sets a
precedent for every future need to do this. We change the page
contents for a few weeks as per the expected cultural norm.  And given
the chance (due to timeliness) we can dedicate releases in the release
notes for new releases.

Our releases are like books or movies or tv shows, books and movies
and tv shows don't change their  eposodic naming because someone
important to the creators died while the creative work was in
production. No they add a dedication page/screen at the beginning or
the end and pay their respects that way.  There's no need for us to
wring our hands and try to do something more elaborate than that and
prepare ourselves to do it again and again and again without any need
to fight about process. Or we can go further and do like the Oscar
Awards show does and have a dedicated space to all those who passed in
our community since the last release if we find there are more than
one person who deserves to be remembered in the context of our
creative work and our community.

-jef