Improving the Spins process

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 21:20:54 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 04:21:51PM -0400, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Jared K. Smith
> <jsmith at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > 2) While discussing some of the shortcomings of using wiki categories
> > to track progress on Spins, we also talked about the Features process
> > and how it too might benefit from using a ticketing system to track
> > progress of features.  As I understand it, Robyn (as the Fedora
> > Program Manager) already opens a FESCo ticket for each feature (so
> > that it's on the FESCo agenda), but uses wiki categories to track the
> > state (proposed, accepted, rejected, etc.) of each feature.  Is there
> > interest in moving the features process over to using tickets for
> > keeping track of the feature state, and keeping the discussion about
> > the feature in one easy-to-find location, rather than having it
> > scattered across talk pages, wiki pages, and FESCo meeting minutes?
>
> It appears I've confused at least a few people with this idea, so let
> me see if I can clarify a few points here:
>
> * I'm _not_ suggesting that we get rid of Feature pages on the wiki.
> I'm only suggesting that we move away from use wiki categories for
> tracking the state of the feature, and track them using a custom field
> in a ticketing system such as Trac.
> * As the Fedora Program Manager already creates a ticket in FESCo's
> Trac instance, this seems like the ideal place to track the feature
> state.

Thanks Jared, I was one of the confused :-) and this clears it right
up.  While there is a stable and well-tested extension you can get for
MediaWiki that does better notification for category changes
(addition/deletion of pages in the category), but that doesn't solve
problems such as people not knowing the right category names.
Tracking status through a ticket system we're already using seems
reasonable to me.