Fedora Board Recap 2011-10-18

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 03:28:59 UTC 2011

On 10/19/2011 03:47 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 18.10.2011, 10:46 -0700 schrieb Toshio Kuratomi:
>
>> === Elections Schedule ===
>>   October 19-21: Announce election schedule, call for Town Hall volunteers
>>   October 25-November 5th: Nominations open (nomination period closes promptly at 23:59:59 UTC on the 5th)
>>   November 6-12: Organize town hall schedule
>>   November 6-12: Candidates answer questions, send responses to Wrangler
>>   November 12: Deadline for questionnaire responses from candidates
>>   November 13-14: Wrangler presents questioinnaire answers, posts to wiki
>>   November 15-22: Town Halls
>>   November 21-22: Finalize online voting application
>>   November 23-December 5:  Voting Period (voting period closes promptly at 23:59:59 on the 5th)
>>   December 6: Announce results
>>
>> * Board agrees to this schedule
> Is this only for the board elections or also for FESCo and FAmSCo? I see
> different timelines in Robyn's taskjuggler files at
> http://rbergero.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-16/f-16-ambassadors-tasks.html
I'm not sure. I'm expecting that when the announcement about the
schedule does come (during the 19th-21st, and of course, it's already
the 20th in some parts of the world), that maybe that will be clarified
for those of us not on the phone call, since I don't see any details
about it in the IRC log where it was originally discussed.

I'm not sure what you're seeing in the Ambassadors's schedule for
elections - the IRC town halls, IIRC, were intended to be used as forums
for Ambassadors to share release-related information with folks in their
region, but I could be wrong. (And we can certainly take that discussion
to Amb-list, but just wanted to clarify that the town hall date in the
ambassadors schedule isn't tied to the elections schedule because of that.)

Beyond that: I think the schedule looks fine, save for the fact that
things like the Questionnaire wrangler collecting questions on the wiki
isn't listed here, only getting answers, and we've normally had a full
week to deal with that. It could run concurrently to nominations being
open, but it would probably help to have it on the schedule.

So in short, questions:
* Is this change intended to be permanent? Or will it change every time?
(This determines how I'll adjust the schedule.)
* Is this Board-only, or are FAmSCo and FESCo also included?
* Is someone going to address the specifics of why the dates were
changed in a public mail?
* Is someone going to announce this stuff before the 21st? We're already
done with the 19th.
* Is there intent to have time added for questions gathering for
questionaires?
* Can we please, in the future, address scheduling changes prior to
being in the period where stuff is scheduled to be going on? It really
gives the appearance of, "We're changing the dates because nobody did
anything." I gather, from what details I can find by reading the fine
print in IRC logs, that some of this is to stimulate more participation
by not doing everything in crunch time. But having to upend the schedule
and code in new dates/lengths (presumably to allow for the thanksgiving
holiday, meaning that things will have to be hardcoded from release to
release every year) and rebuild the whole thing isn't exactly a fun
thing to do during crunch-time either. :)

-Robyn