Endorsement of https://github.com/fedoraproject

Carlo de Wolf cdewolf at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 15:50:49 UTC 2012

On 02/01/2012 04:29 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 16:19:08 +0100,
>    Carlo de Wolf<cdewolf at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> Whilst it is possible to maintain such a git branch at
>> fedorahosted.org it would suffer from a lack of integration with the
>> upstream branch hosted on GitHub itself.
> Wouldn't make more sense for maintainers to either get their own github
> accounts or just keep a local checkout of upstreams they are interested in
> so that they can work easier with upstreams?

That works, until you get to a point where both upstream developers and
packagers need to work together.

https://github.com/fedoraproject/jboss-as/commit/47a33041eb75290629fec7869604f39c19881366
is something an upstream developer can work with right away.

https://github.com/fedoraproject/jboss-as-rpm/blob/master/SOURCES/0002-Fix-initd-script.patch
is something only useful and usable by rpmbuild. (Note that this repo
must be relocated to pkgs.fedoraproject.org.)

Still not that big of an issue until you get multiple upstream
developers and packagers that need to do a concentrated effort on a
single piece.

> The form of patches used in rpms doesn't really match what upstreams would
> need, so i am not sure what a project repo in github would provide that
> maintainers can't get on their own?

People started to ask if they could work of
https://github.com/wolfc/jboss-as/tree/fedora17. Which I think is wrong,
because that is my personal repo.

We should have a collaborated jboss-as fedora17 branch somewhere.

Carlo