Minutes from today's Board meeting

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Feb 1 20:14:10 UTC 2012

= Fedora Board Meeting 2012-02-01 =

* Meeting secretary: Jaroslav Reznik

== Roll Call ==

=== Present ===
Jared Smith
Jaroslav Reznik
Toshio Kuratomi
Rudi Landmann
Rex Dieter
Christoph Wickert
Jon Stanley
Peter Robinson
Guillermo Gómez

=== Not Present ===

=== Regards ===
David Nalley

== Agenda ==
Updates
Board business

=== Updates ===
* Fedora 17 schedule update
** Feature submission deadline last week (2012-01-24)
** Feature Freeze in one week (2012-02-07)

=== Board Business ===
* Championing projects
** Due today!
** FAB mailing list/blog about...
** Toshio: Work on the Feature Process
** Peter Robinson: ARM as a Primary Arch
** Jon Stanley: QA how-to-debug and how-to-test pages
** Rudi: Streamline docs publication process

* Ticket 131: retire torrent seed?
** https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/131
** a lot of technical solutions (up to infra team?)
** Near future, Board would like to continue supporting torrents
* Proposal -- We want torrents to be available but we don't care if that's done via our own infrastructure or on a different service that we point to from our website.
** Torrents provided: For F17 should cover all the things that are currently provided by torrent
*** For future Fedora releases, Infra may reduce to what's on get.fp.o
Voting:
toshio +1
pbrobinson +1
rdieter +1
jreznik: +1
cwickert: +1
jsmith: +1
jstanley: +1
rudi +1
gomix: +1

=> agreed (9 votes +1)

** Possible Addition: recommend that any third party used is using an open source torrent solution.
cwickert: +1
rdieter: +1
jsmith: +1
jstanley -1
pbrobinson 0
toshio: 0
rudi +1
jreznik: +1
gomix: 0

=> agreed  (5 votes +1, 3 votes 0, 1 votes -1)

** Possible Addition: still build the .torrent files, even if no longer seeding the downloads
cwickert: +1
jsmith: +1
jstanley +1
toshio: 0
rdieter: 0
pbrobinson +1
rudi +1
gomix: +1
jreznik: +1

=> agreed (7 votes +1, 2 votes 0, 0 votes -1)

jsmith to update ticket and communicate it to the infrastructure team

Proposals from last meeting (IRC):
* Proposal 1 was: The Board is comfortable with letting the Infra team make the call
* Proposal 2 was: The Board asks the Infra team to try to use the current solution for F17 release (even if it's IPv4 only, etc.), and get feedback after release
* Proposal 3 was: Table a decision pending further discussion on the mailing list
* Proposal 4 was: ask infra to make sure they have a wide audience, and discuss this broadly before making their decision.

cwickert: the decision should not be up to the infrastructure team
peter: there are limited people resource (=>security implications etc.)
Lack of people joining team?

How to join infrastructure team: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/GettingStarted

* Ticket 132: Endorsement of https://github.com/fedoraproject
** https://fedorahosted.org/board/ticket/132
** Spot says they would need a trademark license agreement to use the Fedora trademark
** jsmith is uncomfortable granting a blanket trademark license -- would like to see the limit to the scope
** cwickert: What would it be used for? What makes it different from all the other upstream projects we are working with?
** toshio: Would like the limitation to be more about "just getting JBoss into Fedora" as opposed to what they posted to the advisory-board list
** toshio: The patch vs git pull request starts to border on rel-eng/infra issues (expanded trees on pkgs.fp.o, etc)
** toshio: doesn't answer the question "Why can't an individual contributor do this on their own -- why do they need a Fedora github account"
** pbrobinson/cwickert: Will the github account be a dumping ground in limbo between upstream and downstream?  Is there a more specific (and valid) use case?
** rdieter: A lot of misgivings would be allayed if the scope were limited (to JBoss as example) -- is that a short-term thing?
** pbrobinson/cwickert: If it is limited to JBoss, are we discriminating other projects?
** -ENEEDINFO
** pbrobinson: fedoracommunity.o domains granted a trademark license still need a disclaimer.  Wouldn't we still need one here?
** jsmith to update ticket

* Trademark Guidelines Draft
** https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pchestek/TMGuidelinesDraft
** Board members in general agreement that it's better than the current guidelines
** Need more time to digest the changes and read the specifics

* Any other Board business?
** UsrMove feature
*** General concern that coming in so late, this will cause us to slip
*** Proposal: The Board puts forward a statement of concern regarding the feature and the process
**** In trying to draft a proposal, came to the conclusion that anything we would say would be micromanaging.
**** Instead of making a Board statement, we'll reach out to individuals to share our concerns privately

== Other Notes ==
* Next Board meeting will be a public IRC meeting on Wednesday, February 8th at 18:30 UTC