Requests for Advice from the Board

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 18:05:42 UTC 2012

In preparation for making such a request I thought I'd just share an impression.

As the Board has become more open over the past few years, that
started long ago and has accelerated recently, the community is more
and more exposed to the thoughtful way the Board deals with various
issues that come before it. The Board demonstrates broad understanding
of issues, creative ideas about how to solve problems, and much care
to not step on the toes of those doing the work. All of this is great
for the community but as a side-effect it encourages the community to
want to bring issues before the Board for its consideration because
its feedback would bring new perspectives with consideration of the
possible impacts far and wide within the project to the particular
issue.

At the same time we often see issues come before the Board that are
routinely met with a "this isn't the Board's business" sort of
reaction. And I understand that often issues aren't in the domain of
things the Board is tasked with "deciding." It also sends a message to
the community to get on with it and make decisions without feeling the
need to get the Board's approval on everything. This has the opposite
effect of discouraging the community from raising issues with the
Board.

So, I'd like to see the Board be open to accepting requests for advice
even when it might not be an issue the Board is tasked with deciding.
Perhaps those asking for help from the Board could make it more clear
in their statement of the issue that they are just asking for advice
and are not asking the Board to make a final decision about something.
I see this as an opportunity for more engagement between the Board and
the community as well as a way for the Board to contribute without an
iron fist.

It won't be long before such a request arrives on your doorstep.

John