Sponsoring event attendees

mario juliano grande balletta mario.balletta at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 21:50:29 UTC 2012

Drawing on experience from other areas of my background, I would say
if a project member is scheduled to deliver a presentation, teaching a
class, fulfilling a specific duty, like camera work, etc

Then sponsoring an individual needing some assistance to attend an
event so they can fulfill their obligations is useful to fedora and
the community.  Now, granted I am not saying all requests for
assistance must meet the criteria above, but, isn't that why the
videos are posted to youtube?

Businesses try to reduce travel overhead by using video conferencing
and posting video sessions.  Maria and her team are working on similar
technology that will be useful in making more of that available,
besides youtube.

So, I feel the funds for travel assistance should be used for actual
specific fedora business needs.  If individuals who are challenged
cannot arrange travel to a fedora event, then perhaps reaching out to
the group might help, voluntary contributions, donations, etc

Sharing rides, sharing travel points from airline or hotel programs.
There are alternative methods, we have to be creative and think
outside the box.  I don't think a written policy with conditions can
be drafted to cover every situation, so common sense, the global
picture, fedora objectives, individual status all need to be factored
in when evaluating travel requests.

I apologize if any of that seems negative or offensive, just trying to
take a sterile clinical approach.  :-)