Requests for Advice from the Board

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Feb 14 15:07:53 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 1:05 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In preparation for making such a request I thought I'd just share an impression.
>
> As the Board has become more open over the past few years, that
> started long ago and has accelerated recently, the community is more
> and more exposed to the thoughtful way the Board deals with various
> issues that come before it. The Board demonstrates broad understanding
> of issues, creative ideas about how to solve problems, and much care
> to not step on the toes of those doing the work. All of this is great
> for the community but as a side-effect it encourages the community to
> want to bring issues before the Board for its consideration because
> its feedback would bring new perspectives with consideration of the
> possible impacts far and wide within the project to the particular
> issue.
>
> At the same time we often see issues come before the Board that are
> routinely met with a "this isn't the Board's business" sort of
> reaction. And I understand that often issues aren't in the domain of
> things the Board is tasked with "deciding." It also sends a message to
> the community to get on with it and make decisions without feeling the
> need to get the Board's approval on everything. This has the opposite
> effect of discouraging the community from raising issues with the
> Board.
>
> So, I'd like to see the Board be open to accepting requests for advice
> even when it might not be an issue the Board is tasked with deciding.
> Perhaps those asking for help from the Board could make it more clear
> in their statement of the issue that they are just asking for advice
> and are not asking the Board to make a final decision about something.
> I see this as an opportunity for more engagement between the Board and
> the community as well as a way for the Board to contribute without an
> iron fist.
>
> It won't be long before such a request arrives on your doorstep.
>
> John

Hi John,

So I somewhat agree with you, and somewhat disagree - here's why.

The board often sees requests from folks who aren't involved in doing
the particular work and who haven't talked to the people doing the
work first, and essentially asking the board to intervene. This
particular type of request I personally don't want to see the Board
involved in. The Board has no true compulsory capabilities, and
honestly shouldn't meddle, and should encourage rather the people
wanting changes made to get involved and make them happen or at least
to talk directly to those doing the work.

If on the other hand folks who are doing the work come and ask advice
regarding things they are working on, or want to work on - I think
that's perfectly reasonable, but do occasionally fear that people come
seeking permission to do things, or that it will appear that some
permission is indeed needed, particularly by newcomers. The danger
here is that people don't feel empowered to get things done in Fedora.
I realize that it isn't at all what you are talking about, but it is a
worry at least for me.

--David