Requests for Advice from the Board

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 15:42:36 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 9:07 AM, David Nalley <david at gnsa.us> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> So I somewhat agree with you, and somewhat disagree - here's why.
>
> The board often sees requests from folks who aren't involved in doing
> the particular work and who haven't talked to the people doing the
> work first, and essentially asking the board to intervene. This
> particular type of request I personally don't want to see the Board
> involved in. The Board has no true compulsory capabilities, and
> honestly shouldn't meddle, and should encourage rather the people
> wanting changes made to get involved and make them happen or at least
> to talk directly to those doing the work.

Sure, I see your point. I guess you'll just have to keep saying this
isn't something appropriate for the Board to deal with as a group
unless all the impacted parties are involved.

> If on the other hand folks who are doing the work come and ask advice
> regarding things they are working on, or want to work on - I think
> that's perfectly reasonable, but do occasionally fear that people come
> seeking permission to do things, or that it will appear that some
> permission is indeed needed, particularly by newcomers. The danger
> here is that people don't feel empowered to get things done in Fedora.
> I realize that it isn't at all what you are talking about, but it is a
> worry at least for me.

I was imagining more the case where people are empowered but while
working things through over time feel stuck on something and just want
to see if some fresh eyes in the heads of smart people have any new
ideas that those grinding away doing it had a blind spot for and
couldn't see even if perhaps it is obvious to someone looking at it
fresh. Then a worker bee might take ideas back to the rest of the
group doing the work and say "hey, here is an idea from David, think
we should give it a try?"

John