Sponsoring event attendees

Max Spevack mspevack at fedoraproject.org
Tue Feb 14 21:06:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, 14 Feb 2012, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> with follow-up simply because we had a BOATLOAD OF CASH, and we didn't
> really have to worry about prioritizing; we simply made an attempt to
> ensure that the event had some value, and an owner, and some We are no
> longer in that situation.  The regional budget for FY12 was at least
> pushed to the absolute limit, and more likely exceeded the limit.
> Additionally, whereas in the past the regional budget was largely
> utilized by EMEA and NA, we now are starting to see rapid increases in
> community activity and requests from APAC and LATAM, which is a good
> thing, but will certainly require those in EMEA and NA to be more
> cognizant of impending events and requests in other regions.

snip

> And I don't know what the shape of Famsco reporting is right now;
> perhaps we need to get back to a focus on it, and if famsco isn't
> willing to do it, get a group together who is willing to put in the
> effort.  But that's been a major piece of the accountability, and
> additionally, an important piece that Max, or Harish, or the FPL can
> show to Red Hat and say, "Here's the list of where your money went,
> and how it was used, and why continuing to invest here is important."

For folks who are new, the historical data backing up what Robyn is
saying is here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Accounting and the pages linked off of
it.  My sense is that this transparency angle has really stopped since I
turned in my Red Hat credit card.  I would like to see it ressurected in
some form for the Red Hat fiscal year beginning on March 1.  That
financial transparency is an important underpinning of Fedora's
community structure.

IMHO.

--Max