Tying threads together.

María Leandro tatica at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 15 17:58:53 UTC 2012

Hello

El 15 de febrero de 2012 12:30, Robyn Bergeron <rbergero at redhat.com>escribió:

> Max mentioned a phrase in a previous mail this week that I think is
> incredibly applicable here: Institutional memory.  Many of us have been
> around a while; most of the previous respondents to these emails, far
> longer than I have.  Those folks participating and contributing to the
> aforementioned threads, by and large, know that they can Go Forth and Do
> without seeking board blessings; inherently know what resources are
> available; more or less have a gut feeling on when they should or shouldn't
> apply for funding for an international FUDCon; know who to ask for
> resources; etc.
>
> None of this is readily apparent to anyone who shows up on the proverbial
> doorstep of the Fedora Community, wanting to actually do something. Most
> people who do show up, of course, just want to contribute in some way, but
> eventually, many of those folks move beyond smaller contributions, and move
> into Bigger Things Territory.

Just as Mo said with Mailing lists, also our wiki needs a bit of
arrangement. If a new contributor needs something that is not point out on
frontpage will get lost into a complete mess that is ok for regular
contributors, but not for new users. How do we expect that users make that
huge step into contribute if they need to go to an specific contributor for
guideliness every time?

I really hope that the video project can provide not only a
*non-boring-text* resource between those who only are interested in use and
those who want to turn into contributors. We are *technology* so, why the
hell aren't we using it to make things better?

> While I largely agree with David's previously stated point of view that
> the majority of power to direct or effect change in Fedora lies with the
> people doing the work, I think that it is certainly in the Board's interest
> to ensure that community members are enabled to actually get the work done.

Board, FAmSCo and every leader crew you can imagine MUST make sure that
people DO things. However, general feeling is that there is no way I can do
it because *is a mess to read/get a Howto on our wiki* and *what if I don't
speak english?* (a pretty common issue outside US). Why do contributors
think that they need to be ambassadors to held an event? why if a
design/translate/whatever cotributor wants to join cannot go directly and
solve a task without need to step on IRC to ask for help?

I think that is the right time and place to reconsider the way make fedora
grow, our rules and tasks, and the way we provide general information to
potential contributors. Will this mean more infra? not necesary... it will
mean more communication between general and local leaders and will require
a huge effort to check and compare what we have done right and wrong in the
past, but mostly will require that people *open their ears* and take a time
to listen what Fedora people has to say... instead just call for a meeting
to say Yes-No.

If leaders feel that there is too much information comming, then I guess we
need more hierarchy between roles. Just remember that at the end, we are
here to help and make things happen, to listen and help people to reach
their goals or acomplish their ideas.

--
tatica
Maria Gracia Leandro