Use of Fedora logo in Boxes project

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Tue Feb 21 14:26:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Zeeshan Ali <zeenix at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  As you may or may not know, we have been working on a new GNOME
> application, Boxes[1] that (among other things) enables users to easily
> manage virtual-machines. This also includes ability to detect
> operating-systems given an installation media and presenting an
> intuitive and *impressive* UI to user to easily install different
> operating systems with minimum or no interaction. Boxes makes use of a
> new library, libosinfo[2] that provides information about operating
> systems (which it internally keeps in an XML database).
>
> We really want (more like need) to show logos of different operating
> systems to the user[3]. I sent a mail[4] to Fedora legal regarding this
> and turns out that we can not use the logos like this unless we get
> explicit permission from each trademark holder. Which is why I'm writing
> to you folks now. Can we please get the permission to use Fedora logo in
> this manner and distribute it along with Boxes or libosinfo?

The trademark holder for the Fedora trademarks is RHT, and RHT has
explicitly denied your request in the thread you link to. While RHT
has entrusted the Fedora Board to grant permission to use the Fedora
trademarks, I don't think they've granted us the permission to reverse
their own decisions.

--David