Partnership with DuckDuckGo?

Guillermo Gómez guillermo.gomez at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:06:20 UTC 2012

2012/1/9 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> Hi,

Hi mizmo

> DuckDuckGo is an alternative to Google and Bing that, while not really
> open source, uses open source components, donates 10% of their profits
> to open source projects, and is of course built on free software:
>
> http://help.duckduckgo.com/customer/portal/articles/216390-open-source

I dont have a strong opinion on any of the two (goo vs ddg) and in
general switching to ddg could be an improvement that should be done
with some general precaution, but, since you brought this topic, what
poped up from my mind was why not really use and promote something
else different and really free and pushing the envelope on the web
search arena.

Why not question ourselves what is our Fedora users in their web
searches looking for from start.fpo? To the point, is it too difficult
to use YaCy [1] and Fedora peers to make start.fpo works? Everybody
knows how to reach goo or ddg, etc, or use browser plugins, but none
of them (afaik) align with our standings in FOSS better that YaCy (up
to my knowledge, maybe there are other options too)

Fedora peers/users could run their own crawlers and make this an
interesting altetnative to use regular web search engines, and
perhaps, more relevant results to our use base.

I have to confess im not  an expert on web search crawlers and so for
search engines technologies, but was nicely surprised by YaCy and i am
using daily for my searches in different ways and planning to run a
permanent instance.

Perhaps one simple plan for the future (F18?), is to have a localhost
instance of YaCy  and then use that as the default search engine for
any browser we supply. Perhaps we can create our
net-wise-search-engine (fedora specific web searches).

Im a too crazy?

[1] http://yacy.net/en/

--
Ing.Guillermo Gomez S.