[Design-team] internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was Re: FUDcon Board Meeting)

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 22:33:30 UTC 2012

2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 11:34 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> >
>> > Time is short and we need some text ASAP. Can someone on the Board
>> > provide some text for the ticker and banner? (screenshot attached)
>>
>> I may be confusing this with something else, but wasn't Jared also
>> going to run the text by legal?
>
> I tried his email yesterday; his phone and IRC today, but no response
> yet :(
>
> I was going to write something up myself, but I don't know if that is
> possible if it has to be run through legal. I have an unrelated
> conference call from 2-3 and an unrelated Red Hat customer meeting after
> that so it is going to be impossible for me to do it, if it also needs
> to pass through legal.
>
> I guess we could just fall back on something much shorter than the
> filler text:
>
> "Fedora does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA and PIPA."
>
> and have the learn more point to the american censorship website that
> Ian has it pointing to in git right now?

The text the board approved wasn't specific to American censorship,
what was approved was a generic text about censorship on the internet
in general.

There is constant censorship in China, Iran and many other countries.
There's similar legislation going through, being proposed, or actually
being implemented in many other countries such as Spain.

The query to spot/legal was to confirm if they had issues with us
putting such a message on the site.

Peter