[Design-team] internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was Re: FUDcon Board Meeting)

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 01:21:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/1/17 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
>> On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 23:19 +0000, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>> Jared was going to write up the exact text but it was to be general
>>> and not explicit for US law in particular. What is the exact text you
>>> currently have?
>>
>> I could not reach him today or yesterday and I asked on this list and in
>> #fedora-advisory-board this morning if anyone else on the board could
>> come up with something.
>
> I know he was cleaning up FUDCon related things and then had alot of
> driving ahead of him today so I suspect he may have been on the road.
>
>> Since I didn't get anything back, Robyn and I came up with:
>>
>> "The Fedora Project does not promote internet censorship. Help stop SOPA
>> and PIPA."
>>
>> Spot provided legal approval for the language. You can see it in
>> staging, here:
>>
>> http://stg.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> This all happened on-list here, though. Although without the
>> [Design-team] in the subject so maybe the thread got split up? (my bad
>> for cc'ing so many lists)
>
> The (rather intense) board discussion explicitly decided not to got
> with an explicit SOPA/PIPA message with links to the explicit American
> legislation as Fedora is an international project with members that
> are exposed to internet censorship everyday. Can we adjust the message
> to reflect that?

Adjust it how?  Mo has been asking for text or suggestions for 2 days now, so
asking her to change it without providing suggestions isn't particularly
helpful.

Getting it changed on such short notice is going to be slightly hard.  Text is
"easy" to change, but the 'Learn More' link goes to americancensorship.org.
That either needs to be dropped entirely, or directed to something else.  That
"something" is a bit difficult to decide last minute.  Ideally it would have
directed to a Board written and approved message on Internet censorship page
that discussed broader issues and possibly mentioned the "new" threat of
SOPA/PIPA but we obviously don't have such a page.  Dropping the link entirely
is doable but leaves unaware visitors with really no information at all.

josh