[Design-team] internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was Re: FUDcon Board Meeting)

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Jan 18 13:26:24 UTC 2012

On 01/18/2012 02:41 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 18 January 2012 07:12, Peter Robinson wrote:
>>
>> We discussed a number of options at the board meeting. We decided not
>> to do a black out on one specific day because the Fedora project is a
>> global project and not US specific. There are a lot of countries with
>> many Fedora contributors that have a lot worse than the SOPA/PIPA
>> legislation every day, there is also a number of countries that have
>> similar legislation going through process as well. It was for those
>
> Yes, the board may have discussed that and quite heatedly but I have
> figured I should register my opinion to the board about their
> decision.
>
>   I have learned from long experience that general protests about
> things that concern people don't get very far and fall apart. If you
> are going to protest make it something specific and pointed and
> something you can measure whether it was effective or not. Pretty much
> all the things that were said about last years goals.

The hard truth is that from Fedora's point of view, laws in various
countries are not equal. The project is USA-based and the main sponsor
is an USA company, while we are displeased by censorship laws in
countries like Iran and is nice to protest against them, censorship laws
in USA affect us directly and already did it in the past for cases like
cryptography or multimedia support.