[Design-team] internet censorship statement for fedoraproject.org front page (was Re: FUDcon Board Meeting)

Jared K. Smith jsmith at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jan 18 15:23:36 UTC 2012

2012/1/18 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>:
> On Wed, 2012-01-18 at 08:57 -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>> My intention wasn't to put all of the text in the banner -- simply to
>> link to the wiki page where people could go read the statement.  Does
>> that work for you?
>
> That works if you can also give us text for the banner clickthru itself,
> as well as the text you want in the ticker to accompany it.

Just to clarify here... the Board debated back and forth between
several different options -- A blackout, a blackout with
click-through, a banner, or a ticker (on any combination of the
website, the wiki, and start.fedoraproject.org).  After some healthy
debate back and forth, we come up with three different proposals.  One
was a blackout (with click-through) specifically aimed at SOPA/PIPA.
The second was the ticker on fedoraproject.org simply linking to a
general statement on the wiki, and leaving it there for the rest of
January.  If I remember correctly, proposal three was "do nothing".
The second proposal received the most votes.  If we can put a
similarly sized ticker on start.fp.o and the wiki, I'm fine with
having it there as well.

The text for the ticker might read "Fedora's Statement on Internet Freedom".

--
Jared Smith
Fedora Project Leader