FUDcon Board Meeting

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 14:11:14 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/20/2012 09:54 AM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>

>> How does the default search engine in firefox having a published privacy policy:
>> make free culture welcoming and widespread?
>>
>> How does the default search engine in firefo having a published privacy policy
>> make collaboration commonplace?
>
> It isn't only about the privacy policy as I already indicated.  My point
> is that the board should form a opinion when asked for instead of
> discarding it is a maintainer issue.  I don't think it is.  It is ok for
> the board to say, for reasons x,y and z we don't consider duckduckgo as
> a better default and that would be fine.

The board has formed an opinion, our opinion is that its up to the
package maintainers what they ship and what is default. Midori for
example made that decision long before we were asked to discuss it.
This is no different to say the background that the design team
chooses. The fact is they are not open source or open standards. They
also have issues with results in some cases and likely aren't best for
all countries and languages.

Just because you don't like the decision the board has made it doesn't
make it the wrong decision.

I believe the packages should ship with the plugin for DDG to make it
easy for those that wish to use/test it and switch backwards and
forwards between different search engines but that is a technical
decision and hence is best decided by the package maintainer. The rest
is arbitrary and likely different based on region language as well.

Peter