Proposal: Add more items to the Fedora's CoC

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Sun Jan 22 19:25:25 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 16:58:22 +0100
> Andrea Veri <averi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it's been some time now that I notice several people being insulted
>> or provoked while contributing to Fedora.
>
> Sadly, that seems to be the case in any large group... :(
>
>> One of the possible reasons I see in that is the CoC [1] (Code of
>> Conduct) missing several important items and most of all the
>> impossibility to enforce its content when a contributor infringes it.
>
> Well, there is:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Community_working_group/CoC_Enforcement
> which lists out a process to try and resolve conflicts.
>
>> While punishing someone (i.e suspending his/her FAS account for
>> example) is definitely not the way to go in a polite community like
>> Fedora, I would love writing down together with any other community
>> member interested a reviewed CoC document.
>>
>> That said, I would like to point out a few other things:
>>
>> 1. the CoC's location should definitely be a page under the
>>    fedoraproject.org's domain (i.e fp.org/code-of-conduct), and not
>>    just a two-line wiki page. The CoC is an important document and
>>    deserves better publicity and openness.
>
> I agree. It would be nice if it was a easy to find link, well indexed
> and not in the wiki burried. ;)
> Suggestion: if the Board agrees, file a ticket with websites to add it.

If this strikes someone as useful just file the ticket with websites -
no need to involve the board (or anyone else aside from the folks who
care about the issue and those who do the work) in decisions about
where to host content that was already blessed by the CWG, the Board,
and subject to public comment for some time.

--David
speaking only for myself.