Fedora Torrent seeder plans and future

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Jan 27 19:41:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 17:50:31 +0000
Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27/01/12 17:35, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > On 01/27/2012 12:45 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> >

> >> Solutions:
> >> 1) Fedora uses closed sourced torrent server for ipv6 and other
> >> options. 2) We publish the torrent 'seeds' and signatures for
> >> other sites and users to set up.
>
> What about azureus, it's in Fedora?

it's not in EPEL (we use RHEL for our servers).

it's java. We have 0 other deployed java applications, so this would be
a very large ramp up for support and management.

it's a gui application, making it difficult or impossible to manage
remotely.

> > What are other major distributions using?
> >
> > Rahul
> >

> Most use torrents, along with direct download.
> But some use 3rd Party for to host their *torrent files
> Scientific Linux:
> http://www.scientificlinux.org/download/torrents

yeah, this was an option I listed... we could produce the torrent files
and have some other place seed/track them.

> CentOS: you have to traverse the mirror sites to find the *.torrent
> files http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/centos/6.2/isos/i386/
>
> Ubuntu: has torrents on their "alternate doownloads"
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/alternative-download

From a quick look:

ubuntu and debian both use: tracker version: T-0.3.18 (BitTornado)
It's a MIT licenced fork of bittorrent I think. It's not packaged for
Fedora/EPEL. Looks like the last update on it was 2+ years ago
upstream.

opensuse I can't really tell.

kevin