Fedora Torrent seeder plans and future

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Sat Jan 28 20:58:35 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 18:33:03 -0800 (PST)
> Max Spevack <mspevack at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> > 1) Fedora uses closed sourced torrent server for ipv6 and other
>> > options.
>>
>> Dennis, Robyn, and I have had an initial conversation about the work
>> that would be required to get Fedora and EPEL repositories in S3, so
>> they can be available for Fedora instances or EPEL-compatible EC2
>> instances, but we haven't done anything other than just talk so far.
>>
>> S3 also serves as a torrent seeder, though that is a separate and
>> distinct use case from repositories and I'm not sure whether or not
>> it's something Fedora Infrastructure would want to consider.
>>
>> But I do wonder what the best Fedora sub-project is to continue the
>> discussion of how to make S3 a part of mirror manager -- is that
>> Infrastructure or Cloud SIG?
>
> I'd at least pull Matt Domsch (our mirrormanager author) into the mix.

I'm here.  I think it's a combination of people in Cloud SIG with S3
experience, and Infra that's on the hook to deliver.

I put some thoughts as to how it could/should work here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring/Amazon

but there are a lot of details about working with S3 that I simply
don't know (e.g. the per-bucket policies, and how to get the list of
IP netblocks for each region).

Also, I've never tried syncing 700GB using s3cmd sync, much less into
each of the 8 regions...