Fedora Board Recap 2012-07-11

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 21:42:54 UTC 2012

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meeting:Board_meeting_2012-07-11

Meeting: Board meeting 2012-07-11

== Attendance ==

Present:

    Eric Christensen
    Peter Robinson
    Robyn Bergeron
    Garrett Holmstrom
    Toshio Kuratomi
    Jaroslav Reznik
    John Rose
    Nick Bebout (late)

Absent:

    Christoph Wickert
    David Nalley

Today's lucky secretary: John Rose

==Minutes==

===Announcements & welcoming new folks===
* Congratulate Jaroslav on his new role as Fedora Program Manager

===Follow-up: Release naming process===
* Come up with new processes for suggesting release names
* Concern that some proposals are too narrow to be "fun"
* Is "Having a theme" is a proposal or is "The theme is names of
trees" a proposal?
* Some think that having a new art theme each release makes Fedora fun
for consumers to "look" at each release.
* Critique about current proposals -- should include who/how names
would be chosen.  For instance, with most theme proposals, there
really isn't a need for people to vote on choices like "redwood,
sequoia, or oak" every release
* Action: Eric Christensen to start conversation on the board list on
release name process and rules to be taken to the community for input.

===New thread: Clarifying fedora positions===
* http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/advisory-board/2012-July/011709.html
* Board is interested in listing the roles and responsibilities within
Fedora but doesn't see the value in specifically listing who is
employing them.
** Many roles are created by a person interested in the role, not
necessarily by someone being hired
* Action: Robyn and Jaroslav to document the responsibilities of the
Program Manager Role

===Secure Boot ticket===
* Topics
** FSF criticism of being able to run a non-third party dependent service:
*** Users should be able to run this without the MS key.
*** Be able to give people a key that they can import into their UEFI
*** Have a shim that is signed by our key
*** Questions about whether we can have the installer give the choice
or detect which signed shim was needed for a system that it is
installing on
** Legal documentation
*** What are our terms of service with MS for the key?
*** Multiple people unhappy with not having a document that lays out
ways that a key gets blacklisted, and so forth.  Makes people worried
about that the key signer doesn't have to treat all signed keys
equally.
** Fairness
*** Desire to mitigate the unfairness to third party repos/remixes
where possible
*** Tools and documentation for how to generate keys in Fedora that
can be imported into UEFI
*** Answer to what pjones meant when saying we could build tools to
import keys (into the kernel?) and whether we can use that to mitigate
unfairness

===Open Floor / Your suggestion here / Who's got good news?===

=== Next meeting: IRC, 2012-07-18 ===
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board_public_IRC_meetings

[[Category:Board meetings]]