Proposal request for ideas on naming Fedora releases.

Antonio Trande anto.trande at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 20:35:00 UTC 2012

2012/7/24 Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org>

> On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 21:21 +0200, Antonio Trande wrote:
>

> > what do you think about this ?
> > It's just an idea, written quickly.
>
> While I think the idea of a rule imposing a series is brilliant, two
> concerns here:
>
> - Emperors as a theme - in a post-colonial world I think it might be a
> bit insensitive to elevate imperialism. Topically, I think free software
> is diametrically opposed to 'imperialism' in the form of a single
> central entity pushing out proprietary software. I also think that for a
> global project, we shouldn't fixate on any one region - the Roman
> empire, while encompassing quite a large range, was not global and was
> rather Euro-centric.

Surely i didn't think to the "imperialism" when i proposed these names
least of all to 'Euro-centric' issues.
However Fedora (like Debian or Arch) is a main distro with many 'derivated
distributions' so there is a little of  "imperialism" in it. :)

> - If we use an ordered series for a theme, there is no theme voting each
> release. While I've gotten to the point in my life where I strongly
> believe more constructive things could be done with the time and
> resources put into voting for names every release, I think the majority
> of folks who care would be upset about not getting to vote every
> release.

In the pdf, voting is scheduled

> Can you think of some alternative to emperors that has a logical
> progression and order? Famous mathematical/scientific constants maybe??

None at the moment but your answer leads me to think to the worldwide
freedom by Fedora. Therefore maximum freedom: at every Fedora release, a
community (indian, brazilian, italian, US, ...) one by one chooses a
name<http://www.behindthename.com/>
for Fedora related to the release number.
This can be done by vote.

--
*Antonio Trande
"Fedora Ambassador"*

**mail*: mailto:sagitter at fedoraproject.org <sagitter at fedoraproject.org>
*Homepage*: http://www.fedora-os.org
*Sip Address* : sip:sagitter AT ekiga.net
*Jabber <http://jabber.org/>* :sagitter AT jabber.org
*GPG Key: 19E6DF27*