Fedora Board Recap - 2012-07-25

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:15:39 UTC 2012

On 07/26/2012 01:41 PM, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Ultimately I think it's very hard in a lot of the cases to draw a line
> between two trac instances and say "This should be open" and "This
> should not be open" and in a a non small amount of cases the tickets
> move from one side to the other in either direction during the tickets
> life time and there's no way of even finer grained control to be able
> to make certain updates public or private.

Perhaps the mistake we have been doing all this time is that we have
been to focused on using trac ( most likely due to the fact
infrastructure was/is familiar with it ) to handle requests instead of
something that well was designed to handle this.  At the university
where I was working we used Best Practical's request tracker [1] to
handle these issues and here at the IBM partners which I currently work
for we are using JIRA.

So perhaps it would be better if we approach the solution to the problem
we are faced with ( open what can be open while keeping closed which
arguably would should be closed ) by looking at switching to another
issue tracker instead of deploying multiple track instances and or
trying to patch trac to suit our needs.

JBG

1. http://bestpractical.com/rt/ ( Package well maintained within Fedora )
2.http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/overview ( Commercial/Expensive
license arguably not really an option for the project )
( Both solution are mobile friendly which kinda is a requirement now on
the 21 century  )