Fedora naming proposal

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 31 15:12:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 11:20 -0400, Lynn Dixon wrote:
> So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table
> of Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote
> on which element to choose for the next release name?  This gives us a
> large pool of non-offending names to choose from, but still letting
> the community choose which name to use.

I love this :) However, I do think a lot of the more base elements have
prior software names. E.g., hydrogen drum machine, carbon (there are a
bunch of software products called carbon, notably Apple's API), nitrogen
player, lithium monitoring software, etc.

So I think it's a brilliant idea but in practice it might become a bit
challenging to get legal clearance on the best potential names. :(

~m