Fedora naming proposal

Kévin Raymond shaiton at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 31 15:36:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 11:20 -0400, Lynn Dixon wrote:
>> So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table
>> of Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote
>> on which element to choose for the next release name?  This gives us a
>> large pool of non-offending names to choose from, but still letting
>> the community choose which name to use.
>
> I love this :) However, I do think a lot of the more base elements have
> prior software names. E.g., hydrogen drum machine, carbon (there are a
> bunch of software products called carbon, notably Apple's API), nitrogen
> player, lithium monitoring software, etc.
>
> So I think it's a brilliant idea but in practice it might become a bit
> challenging to get legal clearance on the best potential names. :(
>
> ~m

What about planet and galaxies?
Stars lead our dreams and help our creativity.
Humans would love to reach them.
Solar has already been used, and some are really frequent but there
should be few exceptions.

(Wanted to check the wiki page but couldn't find the url on my current computer)

--
Kévin Raymond
(shaiton)