Fedora naming proposal

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jul 31 16:06:52 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-30 at 11:20 -0400, Lynn Dixon wrote:
> So, with that concern being valid, what if we used the Periodic Table
> of Elements as a "selection pool" and we let the Fedora Community vote
> on which element to choose for the next release name?  This gives us a
> large pool of non-offending names to choose from, but still letting
> the community choose which name to use.

Could we do periodic table + a modifier of some sort that isn't
alliteration? Would that help alleviate trademark concerns? I love
having some connection between science and Fedora, it seems natural.

Maybe we could do the element corresponding to the release number, and
have the community choose a modifier? Although I think a lot of the
cooler names are in the numbers we've already passed :(

Also Chromium will be interesting :(

~m