Fedora naming proposal

Pam Chestek pchestek at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 16:09:27 UTC 2012

On 7/31/2012 12:01 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:34 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> *IANAL ALERT*
>>>
>>> I think there's an advantage to added an adjective to the front in that
>>> it makes it less likely there's a trademark conflict.
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 10:35 -0500, Jon Ciesla wrote:
>> That makes sense, but *please* no alliteration, for aforementioned reasons.
> Some ideas to differentiate:
>
> - Adverbs instead of adjectives
>
> - Rhymes instead of alliteration
>
> ~m
>
> _
Don't add a second word just because you think it helps avoid
infringement.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no, it depends on what the
primary word is.  The "yes" cases tend to be where a word is descriptive
or ubiquitous, like "ultra," "platform," or "open."  Where the primary
word is more distinctive (like a planet name or element), it is less
likely that adding a second word will jump the hurdle of making name
usable when the primary word alone is not.  Add a second word only if
there is independent value in doing so, like making it more memorable,
funny, fun, etc.

Pam