Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Mar 23 15:28:30 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:24 AM, seth vidal
> <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > I think we should drop the naming process altogether.
> >
> > For the following reasons:
> >
> > 1. the names do not serve any use
> > 2. the names are a waste of time and effort to administer the
> > process
> > 3. no one remembers the names.
> > 4. the names are potentially divisive.
> >
> > Let's do away with naming releases altogether and side step this
> > entire
> > issue.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -sv
>

> To add one more justification there:
>
> 5. Now that we've had Zod and Beefy Miracle - is there really any
> point continuing? (yes I know, Bacon, but that's very unlikely to be
> approved)

Eyjafjallajökull is good candidate for the series restart!

For Fedora naming - when I remember my first vote for the name -
for me personally it was more like "wow, I'm part of Fedora,
I can vote for name!" but as it was said - not many people use
it for voting or even not influencing it make the name clean...

What will be the direct consequences? Design? I'm not sure we're
fond of making artwork by name anymore, it's nice, some people
still care but it's time consuming etc. (my feeling). For packaging
- the name can be just replaced by generic fedora-something...
Not many people using it, so it can vanish. But as I said, I
still feel it as a part of "us" ;-)

But it's not only about the name for Fedora release, also for
the other projects coming from Fedora. We have a few projects,
that makes feelings even in the US...

Jaroslav