Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:47:50 UTC 2012

> I think we should drop the naming process altogether.
>
> For the following reasons:
>
> 1. the names do not serve any use
> 2. the names are a waste of time and effort to administer the process
> 3. no one remembers the names.
> 4. the names are potentially divisive.
>
> Let's do away with naming releases altogether and side step this entire
> issue.
>
> Thanks,
> -sv

After reading the last two emails, I think it is a good idea to
analyze why we have code names at all. As I understand it, the code
name came from Red Hat Linux, long before the Fedora Project existed.
I am quite fond of the codename for Red Hat Linux 5.2 (Apollo) as it
was my first real Linux distribution. I also enjoyed many others along
the way, including Leonidas, Verne and the all-debated Beefy Miracle.

Seth as 4 reasons listed above that are valid from his point of view
as to why we should not keep the code names up. I have heard each of
those points before and am sure we will here his argument again, that
we should just drop the naming process altogether. My opinion on the
issue is completely the opposite.

I think the naming process provides a purpose (serves at least one
use) as it keeps up tradition. Another purpose of the code name is
Marketing. Consider what has come out of 'Beefy Miracle'. I recall
suggestions of a hot dog roast at SouthEast Linuxfest last year and
again this year. That helps people remember Fedora and its community.

The naming process could be streamlined, I agree. I don't know that
they are a waste of time and effort. Is it difficult to manage? I see
it as a wiki page, a review process by the board and legal and voting.
We've been doing it for years, and yet, the process keeps moving
forward, people still want it and participate. Maybe the problem is
just a matter of streamlining.

As I pointed out above, I remember the names. Not all of them, that's
true, but a good amount. I don't think the names are necessarily
important to be remembered so much as it provides a useful tool for
reminding others of the Fedora brand.

The only one I somewhat agree with is the divisiveness of some of the
names. Maybe it's just me, but the ones that are likely to offend
really should be removed pretty quickly by the board. I have not yet
been offended by any of the codenames, even though some have been odd.

Anyway, to my point. I think the value of the codenames is more than
the worth the work it takes to have the process each release. I know
many others who feel the same way and I don't think suggesting we
remove the process altogether will result in the code names going
away.

Clint