Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Fri Mar 23 16:06:07 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 11:28 -0400, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> What will be the direct consequences? Design? I'm not sure we're
> fond of making artwork by name anymore, it's nice, some people
> still care but it's time consuming etc. (my feeling). For packaging
> - the name can be just replaced by generic fedora-something...
> Not many people using it, so it can vanish. But as I said, I
> still feel it as a part of "us" ;-)

Here's how I feel about the topic:

- The current naming system usually results in awkward names that
require lengthy explanation to those not involved. I don't like this
nature of the names because I want to inspire more people to use Fedora,
not to feel like they are missing some inside joke and unwelcome.

- We use the names to inspire the artwork, but the names are rarely
inspirational (Sulphur? :(). We would do fine without them from an
artwork perspective, in my honest opinion.

- I agree with Nicu that a release number without a name is cold.

- If we were to have a name, it might be better to pick something, like
names of flowers or types of fruit or galaxies or planets or moons or
greek gods or famous scientists or bodies of water or something like
that so they move along a common theme and have less of a chance of
being offensive to someone. (Sugar uses types of candy doesn't it?
Android uses desserts? Ubuntu uses animals? These are all more appealing
than.... randomness)

- I would rather see no release name at all than the strange, awkward
things the process results in now. The format of the names is also
really difficult to understand, making it difficult for people to
participate in name suggestions. (Maybe I'm stupid, but it took me
several releases of trying to finally 'get' it and the reactions I got
to the non-compliant names I felt were full of annoyance and irritation,
and I can't say I didn't experience the same emotions either!)

~m