Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 20:35:52 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:43:39AM -0500, inode0 wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik at redhat.com> wrote:
> > But it's not only about the name for Fedora release, also for
> > the other projects coming from Fedora. We have a few projects,
> > that makes feelings even in the US...
>
> For those of us who can't read the ticket you refer to can you give us
> some examples of names we have used that are considered problematic
> and why?

The ticket concentrated on the name "Beefy Miracle" and how the slaughter of
cattle goes against the sensibilities of many people within India...
reflected not just in some of the religons there but also in the secular
laws and basic culture.

I'm understating the case that was made here as I don't want to raise the
emotional level of this conversation.  The ticket did an admirable job of
keeping the inherent emotionalness of the subject separate from the
analytics of the naminbg process.  I just don't trust that I can do as good
a job :-)

-Toshio