Connotation analysis for Fedora Project codenames

Richard Fontana rfontana at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 15:50:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 11:38:22AM -0400, Pam Chestek wrote:
> I would also avoid any category
> with last names (innovators, names in computer history and composers), since
> then we also have to worry about the right of publicity when clearing names.

As an entirely separate matter, lack of constant vigilance will
undoubtedly lead to a preponderance of names of dead white males if
you use such categories as names in computer history (despite the
importance of, say, Lovelace and Hopper) and composers (dominated by
white men during the entirety of the history of Western art
music). Given the pervasive problems of sexism in computing (including
free software/open source) that would, I think, be potentially
problematic.

- RF