To be or not to be, the question of Future Fedora Release Names

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 22:44:02 UTC 2012

Today the Board decided that the Fedora 18 release naming process was
already in progress and therefore we would continue to work with the current
process for naming Fedora 18.  However, we could change things for Fedora 19
and above.  The question was how.

Several of the Board members felt that the release names were valuable, at
least one expressed the opinion that the current method of choosing release
names was fun and one expressed synmpathy with getting rid of the release
names.  All pretty much agreed that they wanted to know whether there was
an overwhelming feeling that release names should go, should not go, or
just that the current system was broken.

What we'd like to do is have a poll that runs at the same time as the
Fedora 18 Release Name voting to determine whether to continue to have
release names for Fedora 19+.  The poll will be in the voting system and
have three choices:

* Get rid of release names
* Keep release names with the present process
* Keep release names but have the Board and community create new
  criteria/process for choosing them

The Board will use the results of this to decide whether to have a new
release name for Fedora 19 and if so, whether the process will use the
current criteria or we'll create a new one (for instance, mizmo's gathering
of ideas for themes for release names).

Two notes that the Board wanted to be clear about this proposal:

1) If the Board chooses to create a new process that will likely happen with
   the people who are doing the work to revamp the process rather than be
   put to another vote.

2) The Board wanted to make clear that this is a poll, not a binding vote
   An overwhelming vote will likely influence the Board to go along with
   a certain plan much more than a close vote where the Board members will
   feel that there isn't a single definite path being sought for by the
   community.

-Toshio