The hotdog debate continues. (Was: folks are still whining about names? Rly?)

Mark Terranova Markdude at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 22 22:16:30 UTC 2012

*“And on the 17th release he saw the name, and YAY, it *was* good.”

It recently dawned on me that some in Fedora have a goal of trying to make
*everyone* happy. It’s NOT gonna happen. You are not engaged in *reality*.
I would also suggest that you may not fully understand the greatness of the
Fedora Project. We are NOT vanilla. We dont always take the *safe route*.
We live on the edge, an edge that we usually forge ourselves. If you want
to play everything safe, go ahead. I can point you to some very nice folks,
in other Distros.

IMHO, we have 3 camps in the *naming debate*. In the middle we have some
common sense folks that want to create a balance (the core design team as
well as Inode0). The other two parts are extremists. I realized that some
of the push was from revisionists, and those with *no sense of humor*. I
have decided to take up the other extreme of defending ANY perceived attack
on the GLORIOUS Beefy Miracle.

My offer to the other extreme; *stand down* and let the grown-ups decide
this. Most likely I need to back off the cartoon hotdog thing a bit, and
also accept that we can have *mildly silly* names for releases. The other
side of the scale needs to work on your coping skills and maybe get a sense
of humor. If you can’t get a sense of humor, it may be in your best
interest to accept others ENJOY having a sense of humor.

(For the record, I am COMPLETELY sidestepping objections from folks in
India that may feel a religious slight at cow references. I acknowledge
your opinions as valid, and choose not to enter a debate with you (-:)

The rest of this diatribe is focused on my fellow extremists (wherever you
may be). If you feel that we can have 100% of contributors happy, you are
missing a bit of reality. I ask you to either reconsider, or respectfully I
ask you to GTFO. Maybe go join a group with 12 people, the BSDs are a great
option. They have an advantage of contribs being able to push stuff
upstream in a few days, and everyone has areas they get to *control*.

When we have chosen what I considered to be boring names, I complained a
brief while, and then moved on. I accepted that my side (term used loosely
here) had lost. Can the other extremists do the same. You lost. Effing
COPE. Get over it, move the eff on.

When I started in FOSS years ago, I *never* planned on being known as *the
guy in the penguin suit*. Or to be known for my debates/arguments/pissing
contests. I also never planned on being so associated with a cartoon
hotdog. It just sorta happened. Sometimes destiny picks you.

To keep my words a *bit* more manageable, I will just address the
extremists in this letter (reality based ideas can be addressed to the
grown-ups next). Here is the deal; if you are on the extreme in the naming
debate, consider my pointer finger *directly aimed at YOU* -- it is
currently wagging your direction. To run with my metaphor, the other
fingers are pointed *at myself*. I *know* I am being an asshat here. I am
not sure the other extremists have this awareness. I will hold my extreme
here as a counterbalance to you. Hopefully we cancel each other out, I’m
pretty sure we will ;)

With the grown-ups watching us, I walk to the playground and ask my fellow
extremists to come *play*. Off the deep end I go...

Let the D-baggery commence. It’s a hodog, stop fighting it, you LOST. You
by definition are a *minority* of voters. You are NOT in the 50%+. Lick
your wounds come back another day after regrouping.

I’m pretty sure a few of you still want to come down to the gutter and
debate. Bring it. You *still* want to push? Cool. I want to see if we can
add a 5th foundation. Effing sense of humor. Good stuff. TRY it.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger
those who would attempt to poison.  And you will know the name is the Beefy
Miracle  when vengeance is laid upon thee (Pulp Fiction paraphrased).

If we open a quarrel between past and present, we shall find that we have
lost the future.
Winston Churchill<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/w/winstonchu136286.html>

Give em another paraphrase? Beaches *love* Churchill.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight on mailing lists, we shall fight
on IRC, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength, we
shall defend *humor*, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight the beaches,
we shall fight on the social media, we shall fight in debates and in the
bikeshedding arguments (bikeshed.org), we shall fight in the shadows; we
shall *never* surrender. Those with *common sense* will carry on the
struggle, until, in the Hotdog’s good time, the Project, with all its power
and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of HUMOR.

We are ALL on the same team. The Linux team. Supporters of the Penguin. We
ARE a cult (a GOOD cult, but, a cult nonetheless [One of my talks on this;
http://videos.mitrasites.com/linux-users'-group-of-davis.html]).

Not to shock anyone, but I actually do have some factual and reality based
opinions on the naming thing (that will be my next ML post). As  project we
can’t get to the core issue as long as there is a debate amongst us D-bags.
This project is FULL of great people, we ALL have our moments. My fellow
extremists PLEASE *stand down* so we can move on. Move the eff on. Let’s
join reality again.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stand-down

-Mark

If your browser does not support it, please be aware that most of this is
written in <sarcasm font> Also, please note that this version is far more
tame than my original, which was entitled *Get a sense of humor or GTFO**