Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

Andrea Veri averi at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 24 10:08:31 UTC 2012

On Thu, 24 May 2012, robyduck at fedoraonline.it wrote:

> Hello,
> I see that there are some local communities who want to be included
> to the same local fedoracommunity.org subdomain, such as Indonesia
> and now Italy.
> I'm directly involved in that issue, as webmaster of
> fedoraonline.it, the actual it.fedoracommunity.org and greatest
> italian community. I think this could be a problem in the future
> too, so why not discuss about some guidelines which helps the local
> communities but also the website team to define clearly the state of
> a community?
> I'm thinking about a solution like the Ubuntu communities:
> obviously, everyone can create a new local community, but only one
> community rappresent the single State. I remember there are regular
> "tests", which verify the activity of the local community and if the
> site is just online. If the test fails another local community site
> has the right to take the place of the precedent one.
>
> Sharing resources is more efficient than spreading users I think, so
> it should be obvious that the goal of the fedoracommunity site is to
> give the end user a clearly identified local community.
>
> I'm open to be an active part in finding new guidelines, if you want.

From what I remember Fedora has never been in favour of granting the
'Official' status to a localized community and that caused in a few
places the following issues:

1. multiple localized communities got created having the same
   objectives, target users.
2. "wars" between the localized communities of the same country, like
   it's happening in Italy.

I agree there should be a proposal since leaving things as they are
now will just weaken the Fedora community at first and as a
consequence the localized communities themselves.

cheers,

Andrea

P.S I explained my position about this already on the past Board's
elections as you can see at [1], point 1.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Board_nominations&oldid=238761#Andrea_Veri_.28averi.29