Guidelines for the sites on fedoracommunity.org

robyduck at fedoraonline.it robyduck at fedoraonline.it
Fri May 25 08:02:42 UTC 2012

Gianluca Sforna <giallu at gmail.com> ha scritto:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Andrea Veri
> <averi at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> From what I remember Fedora has never been in favour of granting the
>> 'Official' status to a localized community
>
> I can see why Fedora as a legal entity can not endorse any local site
> to be "Official", but I think it's in Fedora's project best interest
> to promote aggregation of local communities over a single website;
> IMHO that can be done even without blessing the site with an official
> tag, it is enough for the project to refer new users (the the most
> likely to be confused by a dozen community sites in the same country)
> to a single one. The fedoracommunity.org web site seems best suited to
> be the jump point between the official Fedora project and the
> independent local websites so the question is how do we pick the site
> to be linked from fedoracommunity.org? That's where the guidelines
> part comes in.
>
> Of  course, we all know there are times when "forks" are necessary and
> healthy so these guidelines should not prevent new Fedora related
> websites to born and prosper, but until there is an established and
> healthy community web site it should be clear from the beginning that
> it will continue to be the one referred from fedoracommunity.org.

+1

> Now for the guidelines part, my guess is that it should cover (in no
> particular order)
> * what constitutes a local community site (services, domain, language, etc)
> * how to find existing existing local communities (and encourage
> joining them)
> * how to start a new local community when one is missing or not active
> * health check procedure (what activities are expected to happen at
> the local level)
> * requirements to meet before being listed in fedoracommunity.org

I think the points listed by Gianluca are a good base from where we
could start. It's also a good idea if this guidelines suggest how to
start a new local community, because there are several countries where
Fedora isn't present at all.
IMHO the "policy" should remain a guideline, as the decision of being
or not the most rappresentative local community will in any case be
taken by the end user. In my eyes the end user should ever remain the
main goal of any Fedora related initiative.

> I know it seems quite a bit of work to do, but I'm pretty sure it is
> going to pay off in the log term, both in terms of participation to
> the project and less headaches for all involved parties...

I renew my availability to take part of this workgroup.
Cheers
Robert Mayr

robyduck
http://www.fedoraonline.it