Fedora Board Recap 2012-09-26

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 16:21:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 12:39:26PM +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 27.09.2012, 10:48 +0100 schrieb Peter Robinson:
> > Isn't that what the advisory-board list is for? I'm not sure a 3rd
> > list is going to fix the problem.
>
> Right, that's the concern I brought up and many shared.

The argument on the other side is that advisory-board has not been
successfully used for that in the past.  Members of the board often do not
discuss and come to consensus about hot-button issues on advisory-board.  By
contrast, we managed to work out what to do about the Secure Boot issue on the
board-private list and even got many board members to vote on the proposals
there.

> That's why after
> a longer discussion we agreed to:
>

> > >   * IDEA: We keep the lists the way they are now and really start using
> > >     the advisory-list more.  (Sparks, 19:30:44)
> > >   * 4 +1, 1 0, 1 -1  (Sparks, 19:33:42)

Note:  We didn't yet agree.... Need one more vote to pass.  And for
having another list, we had +3 so the vote is pretty close.

We had a rule in fesco that we were only going to discuss things that really
were private on the -private list.  For a long time, this rule was violated.
jwb and mjg spoke up in the board meeting to say that there are no longer
discussion threads on the fesco private list so that seems to have been
solved.  The last solution I heard was that nirik was going to take
responsibility for telling people to move topics out to the -devel list
instead of using -private.  If we're going to make this effective, I think
we'd need to make a similar rule and give someone (perhaps the FPL since
they have continuity beyond a Board election cycle) responsibility for
ending discussions on board-private.

-Toshio