Follow up on Robyn proposal

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Apr 25 22:53:29 UTC 2013

Hi,

as proposed by Robyn and discussed in the meeting, we have 1 week to
refine and discuss the questions ( not the answers, just questions )
that we plan to use to try to define the strategy ( brainstorming is for
later, once we have properly defined the problem ).

There is 5 questions, but not all are perfectly fitted to our uses
( because we are not exactly a company with a top down approach :) ),
hence the need for refinement and adaptation.

Please answer inline, as this will be easier to summarize, I have added
the relevant notes/comments from meeting along the questions ( and stuff
that looked like 'answer' were omitted on purpose, we discuss the
questions for now )

#1 What is our larger goal?
robyn> (Mission statement, vision statement)

#2 Where will we play?

robyn> (Basically - what is our target audience)

mhayden> I still feel like we need to define the focus of our outputs/deliverables a bit
-- desktop or server (or both equally) ?

#3 How do we win ?

robyn> perhaps this could better be stated as "what are we delivering"

misc> "how do we define our success"

mhayden> i think we define a win not by "market penetration" but by how
often fedora deliverables are used to build something great
which could be something as simple as one person's
desktop or it could be a small part of some giant product/movement.
For example, fedora is the best platform i've found for
xen today -- i'd say that's something the community excels at (on a specific deliverable)

#4 What capabilities do we need in place?

robyn> This is - in some places, technical - do we have the tools to build what we deliver,
technical capabilities and other bits are things like marketing, how do we reach these people, etc.

#5 Management systems needed?

robyn> This goes towards what we need to do on an ongoing basis to be
successful - how do we ensure we can have a steady flow of new
contributors, how do we measure success (so we feel successful!), etc

So far, #1 is quite uncontroversial as a question, while the others are
more or less refinable.

I personally would propose for :

#3 How do we measure success

#4 what contributors do we need to attract, and what systems do we need
to setup ?

#5 what governance structure would foster our objectives ?

( and no idea for 2 )

So, if you have any idea or want to complete that, feel free to express
yourself. Again, please just focus on the questions, not trying to
answer to question ( or only if that permit to see the questions doesn't
make sense for us )
--
Michael Scherer