Request: ban Harald Reindl from devel@

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu May 23 08:29:07 UTC 2013

On 05/23/2013 05:17 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 05/22/2013 02:53 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> If memory serves me correct Jesse Keating did exactly that against
>> Alan Cox on the same mailing list ( well the devel list and probably
>> under lists.redhat at that time) way back.  We did not ban him ( so
>> it has happened before ) but then again that was a one time thing if
>> I recall correctly in a heated steamed powered technology discussion
>> but I might be mis-remembering
> Exactly. If this was a one time thing,  nobody would be discussing a
> ban for that. Many people have used profanity or acted out at one
> point or the other in the mailing lists and we are all human and make
> mistakes from time to time but I don't recall ever having such having
> a repeat offender who continues to swear or yell at others in the
> Fedora mailing lists repeatedly despite being asked not to do so,
> politely by multiple people over several mailing lists.  All we got in
> return was not any apology but more justification and sure enough,
> nothing really changed in the actions.  This has already resulted in
> many such threads being moderated in both devel and users list. The
> mere fact that a ban has even been proposed is because of this
> unusually persistent bad behavior. Tolerating is not a healthy thing
> to do. If anyone can convince the person to stop doing so,  that would
> be better than a ban but so far,  it appears we haven't had much success.

If we set the discussion on ice about if we should ban him and just say
we decide to head down the road of no return and decide for the first
time to ban an individual.

How are we planning to enforce that ban without complicating the way for
others to join our project ( which arguably is already way to
complicated )?

No matter how you look at it, the cost of successfully banning an
individual in the project will eventually come with the hefty price on
joining.

We are not just talking about the simple act of banning him on every
mailing list he has crossed the line with in the project ( which I do
believe is in the authority of the list admins already ) or kicking him
out of an irc channel and ban him there ( which is already being done if
people cross the line on channels in IRC ).

We are talking about implementing an process in *all* our infrastructure
that requires users to verify that they are who they say they are which
cannot be done by a click on link approach in an email or even requiring
a phone number and call it.

Eric you are a security expert right, how we go about implementing a
process that verifies an individual is who he says he is? What options
do we have and what ways to we have to hook it up in fas and related
services ( bugzilla ) irc etc.?

JBG