Unofficial Fedora Remix being advertised on the project front page

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Wed Oct 16 16:17:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 04:10:07PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> On 10/16/2013 03:48 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> >On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 03:35:57PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> >
> >>I noticed that unofficial Fedora remix called Pidora was being
> >>advertised on the projects homepage.
> >What do you mean by "unofficial"? There's no set of official remixes.
>
> Some people refered to [1] as being remixes since they deviate from
> the default one.

Spins are made up entirely of packages that are part of the official
Fedora repository. Remixes aren't. Spins aren't remixes, official or
otherwise. The difference is described on the wiki:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Remix#Are_Remixes_and_Spins_different.3F

> >>And should we not put effort in presenting our own community
> >>official remixes before we start presenting unofficial ones and
> >>aren't advertising unofficial remixes on our own mailinglists as
> >>well frown upon?
> >I haven't seen the advertising that you're referring to - have you got a
> >pointer?
>
>  slot 4 on the projects homepage

I was referring to the mailing lists.

> >Pidora fills a niche that nobody else in the Fedora community
> >appears to have expressed an interest in (ie, building something that'll
> >run on ARMv6), so there's a benefit to it existing and us indicating
> >that it's available to people. Given that it's effectively targetting a
> >single device, I don't see any real benefit to including it as part of
> >the general Fedora project, especially since it'd almost inevitably be
> >restricted to being a secondary architecture.
> >
> >But really, what's the problem here? People have chosen to build
> >something interesting on top of Fedora and we've chosen to let people
> >know it exists.
>
> I use and love the pidora as much as the next guy the issue here is
> the act of opening the pandora box of starting to advertise
> unofficial remixes on our frontpage.

Please stop using the word "unofficial" here. I see absolutely no
problem with advertising projects that further the goals of Fedora.

> At least if we are going to start advertising 3rd party stuff we
> should collect money on it to invest into the community in area
> which Red Hat cant or is not willing to fund.

I can't imagine Pidora being in any position to pay enough to let us do
anything interesting.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org