Unofficial Fedora Remix being advertised on the project front page

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 19:09:56 UTC 2013

On 10/16/2013 04:59 PM, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
>>> Clarification on where we draw the line legally and community wise
>>> regarding 3rd party remixes is needed I thought that was pretty
>>> obvious
>> No, it's not obvious. I don't know what you're asking for. What are your
>> legal concerns?
>>
>> As far as community concerns go, the only concrete point you've raised
>> is that remix-specific bugs sometimes get filed in our bugzilla. How can
>> we fix this? Would ensuring that the useragent header in remixes is
>> modified and then using that to flag bug submissions be sufficient?
> That seems excessive.  We get bugs filed in our bugzilla for rpmfusion
> things, virtualbox, vmware, proprietary modules, gentoo kernels, and
> other non-Fedora things.  They are mildly irritating but calling it a
> burden would be stretching it.  Forcing a user-agent change on remixes
> isn't going to fix any of those cases.

Nope nor the ones that other distribution reporters use to get their
issue fixed since their own distribution cant fix it.

The only way I would say we could handle this would be to ask each
reporter to run a fedora specific tool that would generate a hash number
which would have to accommodate each report they file  ( and a different
generated number each time ) and no one from the community would act on
the report if it was missing that number.

> In this specific case, I can recall perhaps 2 kernel bugs being filed
> about Pidora since it was released.  Both were closed with an
> explanation that we don't provide Pidora and the reporters handled it
> just fine.

Again you guys seem to make this pidora specific I'm far more concerned
about other Fedora remixes out there.

JBG