Unofficial Fedora Remix being advertised on the project front page

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Oct 17 00:04:15 UTC 2013

On 10/16/2013 07:32 PM, inode0 wrote:
> Pidora was made a special case when Red Hat granted them permission to
> use that trademark on a remix. And while I think that was a mistake,
> it is water under the bridge and all we can tell other remixes now is
> you aren't as special as Pidora is to us.

Not quite. The team of folks at Seneca working on the Fedora Remix for
the Raspberry Pi were concerned that by calling in the "Fedora Remix for
the Raspberry Pi", they weren't getting the same name recognition as the
defacto standard: "Rasbian" (Debian rebuild/customized image for the
Raspberry Pi). They asked if they could use the name "Pidora", and I
thought that was a reasonable request.

I took that request to Red Hat to consider, and I honestly thought
they'd have issue with it, but they approved it, under the condition
that Red Hat owns the trademark (which it now does). We then gave
permission to that Remix to use the "Pidora" trademark in place of the
Fedora Remix for the Raspberry Pi. They still have to follow all of the
other rules for the Remix, they just have permission to use an alternate
secondary mark.

I am willing to apply this procedure to any other interested Remix
(including creation of an alternate secondary mark, owned by Red Hat). I
don't have the final call on this (other folks inside Red Hat Legal have
to sign off on new trademarks), but I'm happy to drive any such requests
forward.

If the unlikely case occurs that the Fedora Remix using the "Pidora"
secondary mark no longer meets the criteria to use the Fedora Remix
term, or does something that the Fedora Board (or future governing body)
feels is unacceptable to be associated with either the "Fedora Remix" or
"Pidora" secondary mark, Red Hat will revoke permission to use those
secondary marks (just like we would for any such case on any Fedora Remix).

*****

Additionally, I'd like to remind everyone that this is not one of the
normal channels to ask questions regarding legal issues in Fedora. In no
particular order:

2. The legal at fedoraproject.org email address (for issues which you wish
to discuss with Fedora Legal privately)

3. Issues can be raised to the Board Trac ticket queue, which will bring
in Fedora Legal to resolve as needed: https://fedorahosted.org/board/

4. There is a dedicated Fedora Legal trac ticket queue:
https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-legal/
Any Fedora Account holder may open a ticket in this tracker, but only
the user who opens a ticket and Fedora Legal will be able to view or
edit that ticket.

5. You can email me directly, since I have been doing Fedora Legal work
for many many years now.

~tom

==
Fedora Project