Empowering Fedora sub-communities

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 16:04:00 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 11:06:06PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>> How about if we decouple Fedora-the-product and Fedora-the-community?
>> The obvious model here is Ubuntu, who over time have spawned several
>> products driven by independent subcommunities. These products are
>> independently managed but use common respoitories and are tied to the
>> same overall release schedule, and each has its own strong branding -
>> Kubuntu even has its own financial backing.
>
> I like the basic idea -- and _especially_ like reinforcing that the Fedora
> community (and the Fedora Project) are bigger than the Fedora distribution.
>
> And I also share your concern about the perception. Is the Ubuntu model
> drawing the line a little too strongly? If we go this route, I want the...
> secondary (is there a better word here?) products to still feel (and be!)
> supported and included rather than kicked out or downgraded.

I strongly agree with this sentiment and my biggest fear about
proposals like this one is that the folks working on them end up being
told to just go build/test/distribute/market their thing on their own.
Doing as much as we can to allow them to leverage things that Fedora
provides in these and other areas is important where possible. I
understand there will be limitations in all these areas and I think
the often neglected marketing one is possibly the most important one
for keeping a cohesive Fedora Community with active projects like
these. Maybe we could have a prominent web page for Fedora Community
Projects or something in addition to whatever the new products page
shakes out to be?

John