[Fedora Board issue tracker] #182: GNOME 3.12 pushes Google and other commercial, non-FOSS "apps" at users

Christian Schaller cschalle at redhat.com
Thu Apr 10 14:49:39 UTC 2014

Would maybe be useful for someone to define what they mean with a non-free web service as a first step?

Is basically any website that doesn't offer a 'download all code and scripts required to re-create this web page on your own server'
button non-free?

Would lwn.net be considered a non-free web service?

Would fedoraforum.org be considered non-free?

Do even fedoraproject.org qualify as a free web service?

Is a service free as long as you have a general idea about the open source software it runs and could with a
Month of free time be able to more or less recreate it?

Do we then define non-free web service based on the licensing of the software on the servers? Or on the terms of the service?

Or is it defined by the license of the html code running in your browser?

And do the non-free web service category only apply to things with a user interface? Is a Windows DHCP server a non-free web service for instance?

Maybe I am coming off as a bit pedantic here, but I can't help but feel we are discussing 'non-free web services' based on individual gut
feelings about what that term is supposed to mean.

I mean is there anyone here on this list who before this discussion actually had as a personal policy that you don't visit or use any website or
service you don't have the source code to?

Christian