[Fedora Board issue tracker] #182: GNOME 3.12 pushes Google and other commercial, non-FOSS "apps" at users

Bill Nottingham notting at splat.cc
Fri Apr 11 16:57:23 UTC 2014

Eric H. Christensen (sparks at fedoraproject.org) said:
> There is also a difference between a "webapp" and a website.  The prior is
> an alternative to software running on your local desktop (it's SaaS) while
> the latter is simply a place for consumables.

Is there, really?

I mean, you start off by visiting ESPN.com because you want to see some
hockey scores (or because for some horrible reason you like Skip Bayless.)
That's considered in your argument a consumable.

Then you go visit 538 or Vox because you're interested in this idea of 'new
web journalism' and you want to read some stories. Similarly, a consumable.

Then you get hungry, and you go to something like Budget Bytes because you
want lunch. Still, a consumable.

Now, you want to streamline that all and you go to feedly and it's no longer
a consumable, but a hosted SaaS webapp that we should be discouraging?  How
does that work?

Bill