Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

nonamedotc nonamedotc at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 21 16:02:55 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 08:52 AM, Christian Schaller wrote:

> * We will add the needed metadata to the Software installer to give our users the freedom to choose to install legally cleared 3rd party software

Perhaps, it would be better to also have the open source alternatives
when presenting the 3rd party software. This way, even those who do not
know the open source alternatives will get some exposure to free software.

For example, Chrome page can show chromium, firefox, midori, etc. Adobe
repositories page for flash and adobe reader can show gnash and evince,
xpdf, etc.

Best,