Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 22:10:02 UTC 2014

On 01/21/2014 09:23 PM, Eric H. Christensen wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 03:53:41PM -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
>> >In the end the main question for me is if we are prepared to trust the working groups to make the products they have been tasked with making,
>> >or are we going to second guess them every step of the way?
> Really?  What you are asking is hardly "every step of the way".  What you're asking for is a rewrite of the foundation for what the Project was founded.  You worry about losing users because we don't make it easy to use non-FOSS software.  I worry about losing contributors when you start changing the beliefs of the Project.  In my opinion, you haven't provided a very good arguement as to why we should fundamentally change what we've stood for for the past ten years.

Let's not forget doing so for a new software installer integrated into a
*single* desktop environment of those many we maintain and deliver into
the hands of our end user base but it's good to know that the
workstation wg has already *decide* which desktop environment is going
to be representing which is as I had expected to be from the forming of
the wg's...

JBG