Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 00:10:36 UTC 2014

> This is the bit of the movie where the background music turns ominous
> and the hero is offered a choice: stick to his principles and tough it
> out, or accept the apparently small compromise in one little corner of
> his value set which will allow him to spread the rest of that value
> set
> to the world. Right?
>
> I think we've all seen how those movies end.

I think RPMFusion is the compromise we've already made.

> I would like it on the record that I consider Fedora's current values
> -
> specifically, our *commitment to* (not just *preference for*) libre
> software - an immense social and technical good, I am strongly
> committed
> to those values, I am strongly opposed to this change (defined as 'any
> change which leads to the seamless availability of non-libre software
> in
> Fedora products'), and I might have to re-consider my work on Fedora
> if
> this change were to be approved.

I feel the same way. (s/might/will/)

I'd like to say that this isn't intended as black-mail. We choose
distributions because their values resonate with us (most of them
provide similar package sets). With such changes, the values of Fedora
will no longer resonate with mine.
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,