Proposal: Revision of policy surrounding 3rd party and non-free software

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 09:40:24 UTC 2014

Hi

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Christian Schaller  wrote:

>   So between Josh and Red Hat graphics team
> I hope you can trust that we have the right people on board to find a
> solution if a solution is possible.
>
> I am sorry but  "Trust us" is not enough.   I am sure you have the right
people on board with the idea and there is no doubt those skilled people
could do a reasonable job here but the details matter.  For instance, if
the idea is that we are no longer to rebase to latest upstream kernels
because doing so, might break proprietary drivers, that affects all users
regardless of whether they are using the driver or not and there are Fedora
users who are specifically using the distribution because of the kernel
update policy.   How is QA on those non-free software going to work out?
Not everything needs to be fleshed out but it is important to share as much
as you can and be transparent about the current thinking on these issues.

Rahul